What Is Irony Aluminum?
With regard to energy, aluminum manufacture using secondary aluminum is hard to beat: A mere 5 % of the initial amount of energy used are required to manufacture aluminum from recycling material. In contrast, producing primary aluminum using bauxite / aluminum ore is extremely energy intensive. In Germany, the production of one ton of primary aluminum requires less than 15 MWh of electricity. In other countries, the required energy consumption can be considerably higher.
Irony Aluminum scrap is mixed materials that contain aluminum and iron. Generally, the rule of thumb is that at least 70% of the material is aluminum and no more than 30% of the material is iron. The extra percentage does not have to be iron, but can be other materials like plastic or wood.
Metal consumer goods are the world record holders of the recycling economy. Refounding turns steel and aluminum scrap into high-quality secondary raw materials. Recycling has a positive impact on the environment and conserves natural raw material resources. The resource and energy efficient use of scrap in foundries and steel mills is a significant topic in metallurgical plant engineering.
Many products – from the washing machine to the car to the beverage can – are reborn after the melting furnace. This rebirth by fire is carried out with a separation of steel and aluminum according to type. Melts in metal recycling companies, steel and aluminum mills and foundries transform scrap into a high-quality secondary raw material.Metals, predominantly steel and aluminum are the number one enablers in an ecological recycling economy thanks to their multi-recycling characteristics. The period of time after which disused steel and aluminum products return to the material cycle varies widely.
Aluminum Scrap: Recycling with the Lowest Energy Input
Aluminum can also practically be recycled endlessly. The recycling rate of aluminum without quality loss in the most important areas of use lies between 95 and 100 %. One driver for aluminum is lightweight construction, especially for cast parts in the automotive industry. “Whilst the worldwide production of cast iron materials has increased by a mere 50% since 1999, the output of aluminum casting has increased by a factor of more than two-and-a-half,”
According to estimates by the International aluminum Institute (IAI), in 2016 around 17 million tons of aluminum old scrap were accrued worldwide. This number will increase to around 21 million tons in 2020, according to IAI. This corresponds to a share of more than a third of today’s global output of primary aluminum. Today, around 20 % of our aluminum demand worldwide is covered by old scrap. Besides old scrap, new scrap is also generated. Some examples are cutting scrap in the production of semi-finished goods, sprues from casting foundries and chips from the mechanical processing of semi-finished goods and products.
For the aluminum cycle of reusable materials, scrap supply is the bottleneck. aluminum products can last for a very long time. aluminum windows, for example, can reach a lifespan of sometimes far more than 50 years. Around 75 % of all aluminum that was ever produced is still in use today. Part of this has already run through several recycling processes.
The recycling rate has reached around 95 % both in the automotive field and the construction sector and over 80 % in packaging. Throughout Europe, close to 95 % of aluminum scrap is also recycled from vehicles.
Consequently, the recycling industry plays a significant role in aluminum’s life cycle. The amount of recycled metal is increasing and remelting plants have new and improved processes to reduce emissions caused by melting aluminum scrap. aluminum companies such as Hydro continue to invest in the expansion of recycling capacities. To do this, they install state-of-the-art plant technology.
Irony Aluminum can also be called aluminum breakage, medium cast aluminum, and special sheet. If you aren’t sure what to call it, ask your scrap yard what they call it so you can get familiar with how they price and grade it.
A lot of tools, outdoor accessories, and car parts can be considered irony aluminum. We suggest with these items if you have the time and it’s easy to remove steel and non-metallic items, you should do so. The more separation of the aluminum from other materials, the higher the scrap price it.
Examples of Irony Aluminum Scrap:
- Lawn Mowers
- Weed Wackers
- Aluminum Engine Blocks
- Lawn Furniture, Like Chairs
- Various Auto Parts
When scrapping you may come across a wide variety of scrap aluminum. While there are several materials that are classified as “aluminum” there are many different types that are priced and sorted differently at scrap yards. Below we have some of the common types of aluminum scrap you will come across when scrapping.
- Sheet Aluminum– This category includes material like lawn chairs without the webbing, some lighter gauge pots and pans, window frames with small amounts of plastic or steel attached, and jacketing from MC cable.
- Cast Aluminum– A type of aluminum that looks to have been poured into a mold. Something like a BBQ grill, molds from certain applications, or larger light pole bases.
- Dirty Aluminum– This would be anything that has steel, rubber, or plastic attached. If there are steel bolts going through something we would classify this as dirty as well. When scrap yards see any type of non-aluminum material mixed in with the “clean” aluminum that you are trying to sell, it is difficult to get clean prices ever for it.
- Aluminum Cans – One of the more common items that are brought to scrap yards, is aluminum cans. With the common availability of them from soda and food cans, many people clean out, crushed, and collect cans before bringing them to a yard. Be sure to call you yard for pricing.
- Aluminum Gutters/Siding – Mainly collected by general contractors and roofers, aluminum gutters and siding are common types of aluminum to find their way to the scrap yard. With many people opting for vinyl siding, there is less aluminum on residential buildings.
- Aluminum Wire – When you are pulling out cables and wires, you may find wires you first assume will be copper, but instead you find they are silver in color. As long as they are not magnetic, these are going to be aluminum wire. Be sure to sort through to separate these wires from copper.
- Aluminum Rims – Common to automobiles and trucks, aluminum rims are another type of aluminum scrap that should be sorted. To maximize your profit on them, make sure that any rubber tires and lead wheel weights are removed from them.
One thing that you might see will be a price half as much as a clean price (maybe even less than that). That happens because you have to think of the labor that goes into cleaning material that is severely dirty.